Polaris CDI question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris CDI question

I have a 74/75 TX 440 engine (EC44PT-04) with no CDI box or coil. I was told when I bought it that the 74/75 CDI's differ from 76 and later models. Anyone know for sure? Or will any year CDI box work for this. I also was told that the CDI needs to be for a 440....one from a 250 would not work.
    Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff i have one from a 340 it might work? Not sure if there is any diffrence in coil i will see what i got laying around

Comment

I have a coil and CDI from a 78 250. Makes spark but Ive never tried to start it as I was under the impression it wont run right if at all. Is yours from a 74/75 TX?

Comment

it is 340 free air

Comment

ok thanks, Ill keep you in mind. Ill do more research to figure out what I need for sure. Jeff

Comment

Generally, if the plugs work, you are going to get spark. The advance curves were tailored to specific engines to an extent, but if you are just looking to be able to ride, its not really an issue. Really the only box that would be a problem on some of that older stuff would be something off a starfire factory racer.

Comment

Thanks Deadsled....I think ll give what I have a try...apparently the 78 and newer stators and boxes are a better spark curve. Now to find carbs....

Comment

Working...
              X