Reversing a Rotax single

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing a Rotax single

What would be involved in reversing an old Rotax single like a 299 or a 335??? I'm thinking of cloning an old Olympic into a double eagle with two 299 singles. One running in standard position and one mounted backwards over top of the metal fuel tank running in reverse rotation driving a second chaincase on passenger side. I can modify the front drive axel but have little info on reversing engine rotation. Looking for helpful ideas and advice. Thankyou.
    Ray
    these pictures are only my inspiration. This is not my sled. Found pics on Internet.

Message sent Ray.

Comment

Thx Gord. The only hang ups I can think of are 1- thread on clutch will want to unscrew while rotation is backwards and 2- the timing advance system may not work in reverse rotation.

Comment

the newer model motors spin backwards in reverse it shouldnt be a problem ray

Comment

The new motors have electronic ignition and a clutch that fits on a taper. No where close to the same scenario.

Comment

Some engines,,,but not all engines,,,have the wrist pin off set about a millimeter. This is to reduce the thrust forces on the skirts of the piston and therefore reducing frictional loses which prevents horsepower loses. The Rotax probably doesn't have this design or it isn't a factor as I believe others have ran a Rotax in reverse. The rewind redesign may be your greatest hurtle.
            I'm a little surprised Rusthound hasn't chimed in here. I think he has done something similar in the past.
            Ray it may help if you do a search on vintagesleds.com from their archives or simply go online and post the question.

Comment

I think this project is going to be more work and way more complicated than I first anticipated. Thanks to all who responded but I've decided not to do this project. Instead I'm going to freshen up the kids Yamaha bravo.
              Ray

Comment

IMG_4483.jpg Don't give up so easy.. I tried a couple of times to leave a reply with no luck.. email me jgowing@bmts.com if you want some more info..
                Rusty!

Comment

Yeah,,,,what Rusty said,,,,,and freshen up the Bravo anyways.

Comment

Okay. I'm going to do some serious homework this summer. After I'm done my daughter's Bravo I will start building the reverse rotation motor. Once successful I will begin the chassis. I'm going to take my time. Rusty has set the bar very high. His is gorgeous!!!!! I'd like mine to look somewhat as nice as his. If there is any interest in will post pics and short stories of my progress.
                    Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X