Chasing fire in a 440 BSE/ CCW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing fire in a 440 BSE/ CCW

I'm having a firing problem with an old 440 BSE motor that I can't quite figure out. When I got it a few years ago, it was only firing on one cylinder. I pulled the flywheel and cleaned the points and it did no good so I replaced the condensers and since that time I've been chasing fire from one side to the other. Occasionally, I had it firing on both sides but it wouldn't last. I've had it apart dozens of times and every time only have fire on one side but not always the same side. I can't see any wires broken or shorting out. Any ideas?

unplug any kill switches , add some more ground wires to test to each head ,, sure it isn't fuel and exhaust pipe varmits ?...
    Get two different people to hang onto a wire each and they will "indicate" whether the spark is continuous... you may need to
    duct tape there hands to wire as they might let go... They probably make testers but you will want two so you can be
    certain they both fail ... good luck
    Ron

Comment

The motor is sitting in my basement so absolutely no external wiring to cause a problem. When I test for fire coming to the coils with a multi meter I only get it one side or the other, or weak fire on one side and strong on the other.

Comment

I decided to give it another try since my brother blew a hole in the case of his 440 Jag after 5 weeks of driving it. After cleaning the points again and checking the gaps and replacing one of the wires coming from the stator, I now have consistent good spark on both sides. The wire looked fine on the outside but must have had a break on the inside since the fire would come and go if I moved it around. Hopefully it lasts longer for him than his Jag motor did.
        Last edited by bvolks; 01-29-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

guess its not impossible to have an internal break ... good luck .... did your brother blow up the Cat ,,, or did the cat just blow up ??
          Ron

Comment

It just blew up. I've been told those motors were known for throwing rod bearings. He's more likely to foul plugs from driving too slow than anything else.

Comment

Working...
            X