Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A family sled comes home

Hey everyone,

its been a while and I hope everyone is doing well. I had to share this story with you all of a sled I just recently picked up. This is Cat #8 now... yes... 8!

Once again, I'm browsing Facebook pages, looking at snowmobiles for sale, etc. I just recently posted my 99 ZR 500 for sale because I wanted to buy a Bearcat of some sort. Found a 98 about 500km's away from me... meh don't really wanna drive that far. Scrolled some more, then I came across a 95 Bearcat 550.

So in 1995, Uncle Doug ordered one Bearcat as his "demo sled" for the season. He always had Cheetah's because he loved the utility sleds, so he got a Bearcat the first year they came out. At the end of the season, it was sold to a customer and away it went like dust in the wind. For those who never read my story on Doug, he was killed in a fire just a year later, so he only ever had two Bearcats; the 95 and the 96. The 96 was purchased by a gentleman in town who I believe still owns it.

So now you see where this story is going. I took a close look at the hood on this particular 95. I noticed two white stickers, on the back of the hood, and on top of the hood. I emailed the owner and asked if he could send me a photo of those decals, because those were the same style decals he used as his "dealership" decals. Sure enough I get an email 15min later.. "Sno Runner Sales & Service, Authorized Arctic Cat Dealer". My heart quickly began racing... I started sweating... I just found one of Uncle Doug's Bearcats.

A quick plea to the girlfriend asking for remaining funds for the sled, a 45min drive from home, and I ended up with the 95 Bearcat in the back of my truck. It still runs... only has 3000 miles on the spedo, it is solid, other than it needs some tremclad and elbow grease. I started to notice too that it still has the original Cat green AWS spindle covers, ski skins, and hood vents, which I found out, Uncle Doug installed them himself.

I now have a very important piece to my collection, and I am looking forward to enjoy this sled in the years to come.

Once again, a Sno Runner sled has come home.....

Kyle

Hope you put a red flag on the back ! .... Nice to find a "family" member.
    I considered putting my VK in pick up once and reconsidered after realizing how far out
    it stuck. I think you should put in your name with the other owner so you could have
    both of them some day.
    Ron

Comment

Originally posted by RON HYDRAULIC YAM View Post
      Hope you put a red flag on the back ! .... Nice to find a "family" member.
      I considered putting my VK in pick up once and reconsidered after realizing how far out
      it stuck. I think you should put in your name with the other owner so you could have
      both of them some day.
      Ron
      Hey Ron,

I attempted to purchase the 96 about 7 years ago. I know the owner really well.

It had blown uo at one point and he left the cylinders exposed in the rack for about 5 years or so, and I'm pretty sure the crankcase wasnt covered up either. He wasn't sure about selling it at thew time, although a few years ago I noticed it had been moved from the back of his shop and I haven't seen it since, nor have I talked to him since.

Kyle

Comment

Great story Kyle. Thanks for sharing. Cheers. Greg

Comment

Working...
        X