Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alouette Villeneuve twin track Racer?.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alouette Villeneuve twin track Racer?.......

Bought a vintage race chassis today that I was told was an Alouette twin track race sled. Previous Owner(guy I bought it from) purchased it close to 20 years ago off an older gentleman who was trying to clean out his barn; and was an ex snowmobile racer and well known mechanic. "Story is adding up"......When questioned about the chassis being homemade or not? The original owner(man of few words I was told) said " No silly it's an Alouette race chassis" and he dropped it.....Here are some pictures lemme know what you think......It's well built, well balanced and lightweight......Comments and Questions welcome.....

http://s1137.photobu.../wannabsledguy/

Hmmm...interesting.....

Here is a link - scroll down - and you will see some photos of Villeneuve's Allouette Twin Tracker -

http://www.bosscatle...te/alouette.htm

IF it is what it is said to be...you have something there.....

Comment

I would hang on to that until you are absolutely sure it is not an Alouette. I have several pics of the Villeneuve sleds and will look to see if there are similarities. If it is the real thing, it is a real find. There are lots of stories about what happened to them but non verified that I know of. Very interesting sled regardless.

Comment

Looks like something a farmer built from a manure-spreader frame. Definitely some work went into it, but can you imagine Villeneuve using all that heavy iron in a race sled??

Comment

After reviewing the link Al provided....I have found some similiarities....machine is exactly 120 inches long... but exactly 47" wide(not 45")...has 24" race skis.....race car like steering and pedals....All comments welcome...

Comment

Are there any good pics of the Alouette skids anywhere to compare?? What did the Supers run for skids?

Comment

This sled is light....very light(I can man handle it personally)....Almost all aluminum. Aluminum welds beautifully welded...I work in a shop and it takes a man of talent to weld aluminum(let alone well)......I appreciate the criticism both negative/positive...I'm just running off what i was told...there are alot of similarities....SO unless someone stole the blueprints and started copying dimensions...I will remain skeptical....

Comment

Wish it was true but sadly looks like yet another modified Manta racer or project w/ Manta parts?.

The skids also alloy rear sides w/ drive access holes appear to be stock Manta but w/ custom Ifs and more..

Lots else appears different including rollbar hoop supports not the same as any of the ATT sleds etc..

Was this project ever even completed?.

~

Comment

Damn fine clone in my opinion:

Wrong suspension front and rear.

I would suggest it is an early MANTA race sled. Right suspension in the rear.

Comment

you boys very well could be right...I do see similarities ...

Comment

I dug alittle into the Manta information and I see similarities and differences.... Overall length 108" -(this one 120"), width 44.5" (this one 47").....Rear suspension very much similar....front suspension/skis are not....Also the bare bones chassis of the manta looks to be in all pictures I can find different(other than hind quarters)....

Comment

** more pictures to come tomorrow ** These old race chassis are kinda neat complete height is lower than my knee and front is off the ground about the height of a flashlight laying on its side....

Comment

Hmmm not sure the guy you got that from has had it for 20 years.. But it did fall off the face of the earth a good bit of time ago. I lost track of it about 15 years ago but it could have been 20 years ago..

I got the Alouette story alot of years ago from a guy who would know.( Frank Shetler sr) He took me out to see it,same deal the guy was a racer and a man of few words. .. It was South and West of Peterbourgh at the time. To bad Frank has passed on.

When I saw it last ( in the barn) it had section of Red body panel in the loft above it.. and the corner of a large A was showing.. I remember laughing at the fact that one flap had 2 rivets and the other 3. He wanted $125 for it at the time.

I bought a 71 I think 797 triple Blizzard chassis that was beside it in the barn. $80 bucks!!!! so it was a long time ago.

Comment

Rusty - so you think this is what it might be said to be?

Comment

Who knows.. Just the story is the same as the one I got years ago. The rear tin work is not the same as the Aloutte... But I do remember it being really light to pick up for it's size. I thought there was a few more parts on it at the time too. The panel could have been a super hood I was just starting out collecting something other than Ski-doo. Frank had rows of race sleds in his yard and knew alot about race stuff. But that was alot of years ago..

Even if it was a Manta racer would be a fun project..

Comment

Working...
                              X