No announcement yet.

Annual General Meeting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, great input guys. Some very good suggestions and ideas to discuss and act upon.

The folks who did the leg work to convince OFSC and MOT to allow a classic permit in Ontario should be commended for their fantastic efforts. I am aware that the support for this permit is waning, for many reasons. But rather than be regressive we need to hitch our sleds to progressive changes to legislation such as what has already happened in Michigan, changes being considered in NY, Wi and Mn which benefit our hobby and contribute to increased trail usage by a greater variety and number of users, increase tax dollars through tourism and increase the use of the volunteer work force. Our club needs to be the voice of this change on behalf of the chapter member clubs. Our club has to have purpose and this is just one example where the club could play a major role in effecting change here in Ontario first and expanding to other provinces as success is measured and effectively demonstrated.

To the executive, I know many of you attended and helped with the great display and float at the parade in Peterborough. Did you have an opportunity to discuss a date for an executive meeting?

Don

Comment

The insurance thing seems to play a big parts and maybe events need to piggy back onto a Winter Carnival's policy. Lots of local fairs have tractor pulls, mini tractor pulls and demolition derbys.I would hope that an event like us riding some old sleds in a field would be easier to insure than a crowd of people at a tractor pull or demo. My local winter carnival has a great location for a sled show and ride. Lot's parking and space available to ride with access to OFSC trails running through the property. There are mountain bike trails that would be nice to ride old sleds on. There is also tubing and a ski/toboggan hill for kids to enjoy. https://www.georgina.ca/events/snofest

Comment

Don i see what your trying to say about michigan but here in canada they will never let us do anything that the usa allow is sad and thats why here in canada the sport is dying

Comment

Insurance is a big hurdle that needs to be addressed. I agree we need to partner with other shows and other clubs to make riding events work. Having said that I think our club could be doing a lot more to work with the insurance industry to figure this out. Again, back to what is this club about and what role should we play? Should we be the umbrella organization that member clubs turn to if they want to have an event and we carry the insurance?

We could be working or lobbying with the industry to get them to consider collection insurance so should the unthinkable happen and a fire occur you could have some coverage to replace your sleds.

If our club is not able to provide insurance for rides then I think we need to look at other options. We invest a lot of money in our sleds, restoration & upkeep and traveling to shows. Certainly we can afford to insure a single sled to ride? If this is an activity we really want to do participate in we have to be willing to pay for the equivalent of 100 double doubles. The onus for insurance has to rest ultimately with the participants. Yes I understand there is also registration and trail passes also need to be considered. These are all things the club could be leading a discussion on how to make this work.

Both the Antique Club and the OFSC are in decline. We could be doing a better job of partnering with both organizations. When I go to Sledarama or other shows there is a ton of interest in the tired iron and more importantly there are a lot of people that would like to be riding on the groomed trails, could be volunteering to help with trail maintenance and participating in events. Lets face it, vintage and antique sledders do not tear up the trails, we donít travel long distances and I for one would like to see the return of this family oriented activity.

It would be interesting to have a look at the years, make and model of sleds that are purchasing the classic permit. I would hazard a guess very few would be vintage pre 1985 and even less antiques pre 1968. This is where the club could step up and make a presentation to OFSC on how we could get more people interested in sledding again.

Sure I could say we are not going to change things and give up but I would rather say we tried as a club to change things. We canít be afraid to fail, we will learn in the process. We have to try new things, the status quo is just not working. All you have to do is look at the decline in ACSCC membership numbers.

I very much appreciate the dialogue of both past and present members that has taken place so far. However, I must say I am disheartened at the apparent lack of interest in the ACSCC as evidenced by the very few postings. It is even more disheartening that we have 16 members on the executive (this number may be dated) and only a few have spoken up. Come on folks surely you have something to say?

Comment

Like most hobbies that involve nostalgia , they cycle with the age and ability of the people ,,, At 61 enough minor health stuff just to take the fun
            out of a winter hobby and distant shows . Actually , I was asked about going on the local cemetery board ... what does that tell you
            I have had a permit on VK since 2009 and might not this year as I have only ever gone 10 miles on a trail. Just supporting I guess.
            Time to go home and clean driveway (or pack it down)
            Ron

Comment

Originally posted by BB16 View Post
              Insurance is a big hurdle that needs to be addressed. I agree we need to partner with other shows and other clubs to make riding events work. Having said that I think our club could be doing a lot more to work with the insurance industry to figure this out. Again, back to what is this club about and what role should we play? Should we be the umbrella organization that member clubs turn to if they want to have an event and we carry the insurance?

We could be working or lobbying with the industry to get them to consider collection insurance so should the unthinkable happen and a fire occur you could have some coverage to replace your sleds.

If our club is not able to provide insurance for rides then I think we need to look at other options. We invest a lot of money in our sleds, restoration & upkeep and traveling to shows. Certainly we can afford to insure a single sled to ride? If this is an activity we really want to do participate in we have to be willing to pay for the equivalent of 100 double doubles. The onus for insurance has to rest ultimately with the participants. Yes I understand there is also registration and trail passes also need to be considered. These are all things the club could be leading a discussion on how to make this work.

Both the Antique Club and the OFSC are in decline. We could be doing a better job of partnering with both organizations. When I go to Sledarama or other shows there is a ton of interest in the tired iron and more importantly there are a lot of people that would like to be riding on the groomed trails, could be volunteering to help with trail maintenance and participating in events. Lets face it, vintage and antique sledders do not tear up the trails, we donít travel long distances and I for one would like to see the return of this family oriented activity.

It would be interesting to have a look at the years, make and model of sleds that are purchasing the classic permit. I would hazard a guess very few would be vintage pre 1985 and even less antiques pre 1968. This is where the club could step up and make a presentation to OFSC on how we could get more people interested in sledding again.

Sure I could say we are not going to change things and give up but I would rather say we tried as a club to change things. We canít be afraid to fail, we will learn in the process. We have to try new things, the status quo is just not working. All you have to do is look at the decline in ACSCC membership numbers.

I very much appreciate the dialogue of both past and present members that has taken place so far. However, I must say I am disheartened at the apparent lack of interest in the ACSCC as evidenced by the very few postings. It is even more disheartening that we have 16 members on the executive (this number may be dated) and only a few have spoken up. Come on folks surely you have something to say?
              Anyway i can help with what you have said here im on board to get this family sport back!!!

Comment

Something I've noticed at the indoor and outdoor show that I have took part in is the amount of VINTAGE sleds compared to the CLASSIC sled that attend
                Maybe you need to promote the classic sleds more to bring out the younger generation that have them ,there is lots of classic sleds out there !!!!!!!!!!!!! They just need the right nudge of some sort.

Comment

Now that the Holiday season is past it is time to pick up this thread again. Thanks for the comments so far, the suggestions have been great, Gummy you are bang on, we need to add a class that appeals to the next generation, we need to evolve.
                  I was up in the land of snow aka Hepworth yesterday visiting with a long time member of the club. The conversation turned to the current status of ACSCC and what could be done to breath a little life back in to the organization. I asked whether it would be possible to for the Club to hold a summer meeting/show & AGM,fund raising event at the former Flats show grounds on the last weekend in August. Provided the club does all the work, provides insurance and he only has to cut the grass Roy Morrison would consider this type of arrangement. What a generous offer to ACSCC, how about it Directors and Executive is this something that we could do as a club?

Runningoutofbreathandpatience Don

Comment

Originally posted by BB16 View Post
                    Now that the Holiday season is past it is time to pick up this thread again. Thanks for the comments so far, the suggestions have been great, Gummy you are bang on, we need to add a class that appeals to the next generation, we need to evolve.
                    I was up in the land of snow aka Hepworth yesterday visiting with a long time member of the club. The conversation turned to the current status of ACSCC and what could be done to breath a little life back in to the organization. I asked whether it would be possible to for the Club to hold a summer meeting/show & AGM,fund raising event at the former Flats show grounds on the last weekend in August. Provided the club does all the work, provides insurance and he only has to cut the grass Roy Morrison would consider this type of arrangement. What a generous offer to ACSCC, how about it Directors and Executive is this something that we could do as a club?

Runningoutofbreathandpatience Don
                    This is a good thought and a good conversation. The ACSCC does in fact carry insurance for static displays, so we should be covered for such an event.

I have a confirmed date for the Wheat Field show of the 2nd weekend in August - 11th and 12th. Just so we can avoid week-end conflict.

Comment

Got the Port Hope Wheat Field show marked on my calendar,,,,thanks Al. Here's hoping something can be worked out for the Flats show.

Comment

Hello everyone. I would like to help out with the club too. I don't have enough time for another full time job but I am willing help where I can. I love the idea of the annual show in the summer but we should do one in the winter too. Show and swap in the summer and show n ride in the winter. We definitely need to work on the insurance companies and the OFSC too for our vintage rides. How can we get more involved? I am an active member. Thanks.
                        Ray

Comment

Not a member anymore but If someone wants to get the Flats rolling again I have a pretty good idea of all the unseen stuff that has to happen and would be willing to share that with who ever wants to drive the bus... . I'm pretty sure Roy would like to see something happen there again .. Rusty

Comment

Hats off to Roy for such a generous offer. The Flats is a great location and always a good turn out for both a swap and a show.

Comment

Still have some age issues not resolved but my co pilot always considered the flats far enough away to be a holiday
                              and because of that , she has probably seen more of the local sites then some locals.. My sled storage is getting more accessible
                              as we sort through things we have inherited.
                              Ron

Comment

This would be great
                                How do they do this

https://youtu.be/dw-wVXnOVvM

Comment

Working...
                                X